Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Farmer's Wife 1930's Sampler Quilt Sew Along - Becky & Bonnie

I did it!  I joined a sew along!  The plan is to make 2 blocks every week and at the end of the year we'll have enough blocks done for a full quilt.  Woot Woot!

Its the Farmer's Wife 1930's Sampler Quilt Sew along.  You can find all the info here if you want to join up too.  

I'm going to try my hardest to get my blocks done every week.  After all, 2 blocks each week (one on Tuesday and one on Thursday) shouldn't be too hard!!!

I'm going to post at least once a week with the label - Farmer's Wife 1930 Sampler and share my adventures and a few pictures.

My first plan of action is to choose my thread and set up my machine. I have chosen to use WonderFil's Deco-bob thread.  It's an 80 wt cottonized polyester that will give me a perfectly flat seam and my blocks WILL be exactly 6 1/2" from cut edge to cut edge.  I will never (hopefully) have to mess with my blocks once they are sewn.

I will probably do most of my piecing on my Elna 7200.  I've adjusted my needle into the perfect 1/4" seam allowance position and shortened my stitch length.   All set.

My only rule when making these quilt blocks will be to use from my stash (as much as possible) and use only Batiks.  I will be using a light background for the blocks to "float on".  So, I just grabbed 4 different batiks.  Not gonna worry about them "matching" too closely.

I'll store the small usable scraps in one of my flat boxes.  The completed blocks will be stored in a 2nd box.

First up is the bonus block - Becky.
 I'm going to date each block as I sew it.  

The second block this week is - Bonnie.


I'm going to include only one of the fabrics from the previous block in the next one. There is no rhyme or reason for this other than I'll be using up some of those little scraps.
To label the blocks, I'm writing the block number and name on one of the seam allowances of each block.

The seams will all be pressed open.


























No comments:

Post a Comment